Long Term Youth Exchange
The long-term exchange lasts between nine and eleven months, and is available for students who will be aged between 16 and 18 in their year of departure. Typically, the deadlines to apply to the program are September or early October. Successful applicants will depart the following July or August.
The exchange involves living with a few host families and attending a local high school abroad. Typically, students have multiple cultural and travel opportunities in their year overseas.
How do I qualify?
Successful student applicants are typically:
- Above-average high-school students who have demonstrated leadership skills in the community
- They often have significant involvement in school and volunteer activities
- Many have gained life experience through part time employment and/or volunteerism
- Open to new experiences and cultural differences
- Sponsored by a local Rotary club
- Complete a written application and in-person interview
What are my responsibilities?
As a Youth Exchange student, you agree to
- Act as an ambassador for your home country
- Abide by all program rules of your host Rotary club and district
- Accept the supervision of the host family, club, and district
- Ask questions of your host family and local Rotarians
- Be an active participant in your exchange